Reasons for wearing high heels, which are almost exclusively aesthetic reasons, include:
- They change the angle of the foot with respect to the lower leg, which accentuates the appearance of calves.
- They change the wearer's posture, requiring a more upright carriage and altering the gait in what is considered a seductive fashion.
- They make the wearer appear taller.
- They make the legs appear longer.
- They make the foot appear smaller.
- They make the toes appear shorter.
- They make the arches of the feet higher and better defined.
- They may improve the tone of a woman's pelvic floor, thus affecting female incontinence.
- They may help shorter people use items that have been designed for those of a normal height, e.g. sit upright with feet on floor on chairs that would otherwise be too high, reach items on shelves, etc.