1) Set small patterns against large ones, limit your palette and include one solid piece.
2) Pick a color theme, look for variations in pattern, balance large scale with an allover print, solids in theme colors anchor the look.
3) Find one item that is multicolored and pair them with other pieces that pick up the colors of that scheme. Keep furniture pieces basic and solid to act as a canvas.
4) If you limit your palette to a couple of vibrant hues and play them off of a neutral background, a playful mix of prints looks cohesive while effectively moving your eye around the space.
5) A monochromatic palette against a neutral background makes it impossible to mess up.